Wednesday 6 September 2017

A GYPSY SKIRT FOR A PICNIC IN THE PARK

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

Last Sunday was the first really hot day when you can shed off a couple of layers and start to believe that summer is just around the corner and a group of us decided to have a picnic in the park.  I was quite excited about it since the last time we attended an outdoor party was back in February (Australian summer time).
Despite the fact that everyone around has momentarily jumped into cut-off shorts, mini skirts and singlets, I wasn't ready to take off the layers and show off my pale legs, so I opted for a mid-calf gypsy skirt instead.  It was light and breezy, besides I wanted to wear something comfortable to be able to sit on the grass and still look decent.
I bought this skirt a while ago from the market in Green Market Square in Cape Town while paying our scheduled annual visit to my father in law.  I love this market and never miss an opportunity to visit it.  I very seldom leave this market empty handed as it attracts vendors from all over Africa and the variety of goods on offer is amazing and getting richer every time we are there.  I simply couldn't resist the temptation to buy something.
Not looking for anything in particular, I was aimlessly drifting from stall to stall when I spotted a rack full of these gypsy skirts bellowing in the wind.  At first, I couldn't understand the way they are constructed but on close inspection, I realised that they are all made out of two layers of silk fabric in totally different patterns that are not always colour-coordinated but sewn together to a soft belt that you can simply wrap around your waist and tie up on a side with a bow.
Both layers are reversible which means that technically you get two skirts for the price of one.    It took me good 10 minutes to choose one during which my poor husband almost jumped out of his skin.
I can't say that I get into the gypsy vibe often enough to wear this skirt but today was a perfect day for it.  I paired it with a sleeveless black lace top so my arms would get suntanned.  A leather saddle bag and tan sandals completed my "Wandering gypsy" look.
We had such a wonderful time in the park, the food was delicious, the wine cold and crisp and the company was a delight.
Do you like having picnics in the park or by the beach?

Anna
xoxo

Linking up with Fashion Should be Fun, Fine Whatever Blog, Shelbee on the Edge

















No comments:

Post a Comment